A Century of Christ-Centered Learning: 1901 - Present
|Zion Lutheran School was founded in 1901 to provide a Christian education for the children of the then German-speaking congregation of Zion Lutheran Church. Today our school provides Christian education for children of over 70 different congregations. Please visit our memories page!
- 1901 - Pastor Ebeling establishes a church school on the site of the present-day Parish Hall at Zion Lutheran Church, Snohomish, Washington.
- 1901 - The fledgling school is a one-room frame structure with homemade desks and blackboards. Lessons are conducted in German.
- 1903 - 18-year old Chicago resident Martin C. Kosche accepts a call to teach at Zion Lutheran School. He will serve as teacher until 1956.
- 1907 - Enrollment increases rapidly. An addition to the schoolroom is built and more classes and teachers are added.
- 1919 - The last class to be confirmed in German.
- 1919 - Under the leadership of Pastor Franz Schoknecht, the congregation initiates an ambitious building program for a combination church and school located at 4th Street and Avenue A, the present church site.
- 1923 - The new schoolrooms, located in the daylight basement of Zion Lutheran Church, open in December. Grades 1-4 are taught in one room; grades 5-8 in the other.
- 1924 - The new church buildings are dedicated in April.
- 1957 - Growing post-war enrollment in the day school requires more teachers and facilities. Classes are split into grades 1-2, 3-5, and 6-8.
- 1961 - The Parish Hall-Education Unit is constructed to accommodate the growing school population.
- 1970's - Continued increases in Zion school enrollment strain classroom space and resources. To accommodate the growing number of students, classes are taught in rented space at other churches and the Maltby community hall. Parents, students, and teachers shuttle between the facilities.
- 1978 - Zion Lutheran Church acquires land north of Snohomish, and construction begins on a new day school there.
- 1979 - The "Country School" is dedicated and opens for classes in September, 1979.
- 1988 - Grades 1 and 2 move to the Country Campus.
- 1989 - A portable classroom is added to house the 7th grade.
- 1990's - Additional portables, playground equipment, and a covered play area are added through the fund raising efforts of the Parent-Teacher-League.
- 1998 - A generous donation to Zion Lutheran School is used to establish a computer lab.
- 1999 - A resource teacher is contracted to design and implement the Resource Room. The Resource Room allows for individualized student instruction and enrichment.
- 2001 - Zion Lutheran School celebrates 100 years of Christ-centered education.
- 2002 - The Lutheran School Association, comprised of five churches, is formed. Preschool and Kindergarten classes are moved to the Country Campus. Three additional classrooms are added and dedicated to meet the growing needs of the school.
- 2012 - Zion celebrates 111 years as a member of the community.